Help protect people from Tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) with TicoVac® and TicoVac Junior®1,2
TBE is a rare viral infection of the central nervous system, that affects the brain and spinal cord.3,4 Transmission to humans most commonly occurs through one bite of an infected tick.5
TBE is a serious infection that can appear in two stages.4,6
- The first stage of flu-like symptoms occurs between 2 days and 4 weeks after being bitten by an infected tick.4,6
- In some people second-stage symptoms occur due to the virus spreading to the central nervous system and causing meningitis or encephalitis.4,6
There is no specific treatment for TBE. Most patients with TBE will recover, but up to one third will suffer long-term complications of the disease.7
The following activities (below), whether they be for leisure or work purposes, could result in people being more likely to come into contact with ticks:6,7
The invisible risk
Ticks carrying the TBE virus are usually active from early spring to late autumn and are generally found close to the ground in forested or grassy areas, including parks and gardens, as well as meadows.6
- TicoVac Summary of Product Characteristics. August 2021.
- TicoVac Junior Summary of Product Characteristics. August 2021.
- Factsheet about tick-borne encephalitis (TBE). European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Available at: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/tick-borne-encephalitis/facts/factsheet Last accessed: October 2021
- Haglund M. and Gunther G. Tick-borne encephalitis--pathogenesis, clinical course and long-term follow-up. Vaccine. 2003;21 Suppl 1:S11-8
- Lindquist L. and Vapalahti O. Tick-borne encephalitis. Lancet. 2008;371(9627):1861-71.
- Travel Health Pro. TBE factsheet. Available at: http://travelhealthpro.org.uk/factsheet/22/tick-borne-encephalitis. Last accessed: October 2021
- World Health Organisation Regional Office for Europe. Tick-borne encephalitis in Europe. Available at: https://ecdc.europa.eu/sites/portal/files/media/en/healthtopics/vectors/.... Last accessed: October 2021
Legal Category S1A
PP-TCV-IRL-0010 Date of Preparation October 2021